Dear Brooke, put the sweater down. I know at this exact moment on this cold, grey, blustery day, buying this Rage & Bone sweater that was clearly created by the gods might be the difference between life and death but lets be honest…it’s not. This, my friends is an example of one of the infinite conversations I have with myself while shopping. Being a college student, shopping is an activity I have to be very careful with. That being said, I would say these "do not buy, save your money, you don’t need these pants", type of conversations work 30% of the time. The remaining 70% of the time, they are more along the lines of, Brooke. Treat yo self. You NEED these black jeans. You would literally wear them everyday and they are the exact style you have been searching for since you were born. The thought of people actually being able to hear my thoughts is really frightening. Speaking of black jeans, everyone needs a pair of good fitting black jeans. No matter how broke, rich, fancy, or grungy you are, if you have a great pair of black jeans you are ready for anything.
When I find myself with free time, my computer in my lap, and a comfortable place to sit, there is no doubt that I am shopping online. It has gotten to the point that whenever I open Safari, that beautiful 4 by 3 grid of my most visited websites pops up and I don’t even have to waste time searching the internet for my favorite online shops. I am mainly attracted toward simple, sexy, solid colored and almost plain pieces. A surprise sheer back or shoulder cut out is just icing on the cake from there. I do still love bright colors and prints, I am just very picky with them. I think my taste can be summed up in a leather trench coat from Burberry. It is simple, sexy, casual and edgy. It will go with anything and everything as well. Some of my other favorite brands would have to be Rag & Bone, Balmain, Isabel Marant and Marc Jacobs. Also, feel free to send me something crazy from Jeremy Scott and I’ll rock it.
Sienna Miller and Cara Delevingne would have to be my favorite fashion icons. Ever since High School, I have been obsessed with Sienna’s casual, chic and simple style. The same goes for Cara Delevingne. Plain and simple, she is the coolest. She can go from classy to grungy to edgy and pull it all off without a care in the world. I would happily wear any of the outfits these two put together.
When I go shopping, most of the time I have a specific item in mind. I think, alright you have gone far too long without a great go-to casual sweater. Go forth and find ONLY that. I usually never have an exact outfit in mind, so I go look for a specific item that will be able to go with anything I already have at home. This way, I get something awesome that is versatile enough to mix and match with tons of different outfits. I do enjoy walking around or surfing the web for anything that I fall in love with as well.
My most cherished item would have to be my layered turquoise necklace my grandmother gave me. It is made from huge chunks of turquoise and is long, heavy and just beautiful. In fact, it is so beautiful and I am obsessed with it so much that I refuse to wear it because I have nightmares of it breaking. So, I have it hanging from a horse skull in my living room safe and sound. Now for what I hate, flip flops. I will not, have not, and won't ever wear them.
Other things that inspire my wardrobe are definitely music and movies. For example, think about Cameron Diaz in The Holiday. That movie is basically a cashmere sweater commercial and I want to live in it. I am also obsessed with Free People’s short film called Roshambo. You can imagine, being that Free People created it, the clothes are absolutely amazing and the storyline is fantastic. Music is by far the most influential thing to me on a daily basis. I try and put on music immediately in the morning and immediately when I get home because no matter my mood, listening to music and getting ready is something that relaxes me, makes me happy, and gets me prepared for the day.
Speaking of the end of the day, I am going to throw on my girl Cat Power and relax.